These are a compilation of my favourite Comfort Quotes from Matt Haig’s The Comfort Book. It’s a book containing a series of quotes that is sure to bring you comfort and assurance for any situation in your life. Many of them are cliched but Haig has a way with his words, that it really hits home.
After all it’s cliched for a reason, it’s often overused because it’s true.
On Self Worth
- You would look at a baby and think they lacked nothing. The baby came complete. Their value was innate from their first breath. Their value did not depend on external things like wealth or appearance or politics or popularity. It was the infinite value of a human life. And the value stays with us, even as it becomes easier to forget it.
- You don’t have to continually improve yourself to love yourself; Lighthouses dont go running all over the island for boats to save; they just stand there shining.
- The hardest question I have ever been asked is ‘How do i stay alive for other people if I have no one?’. The answer is you stay alive for other versions of you. For the people you will meet, sure but also for the people you will be.
- Once upon a time, I felt pressure to not let people down..then my mind exploded, after which I realised it is better to let people down than to blow yourself up.
- The hardest thing is to be yourself. We are so overloaded that we can’t always see the truth of who we are. We distract ourselves to distraction. Sometimes we clutter our lives deliberately to take our minds off the clutter inside our heads. When we take external clutter away, we have to face the clutter inside ourselves.
- Much of self doubt is conformity in disguise.
On facing hardships & uncertainty
- If we keep going in a straight line, we’ll get out of here. Walking one foot in front of the other in the same direction will always get you further than running around in circles. It’s about the determination to keep walking forward.
- You don’t need to deny the reality of the present in order to have hope, you just need to know the future is uncertain and that life contains light as well as dark.
- In order to get over a problem, it helps to look at it. You can’t climb a mountain if you pretend it isn’t there.
- The best thing about rock bottom is the rock part. You discover the solid bit of you. The bit that can’t be broken down further. The thing that you might sentimentally call a soul. At our lowest we find the solid ground of our foundation and we build ourselves anew.
- Fears become stronger when we can’t see them
- When things go dark, we can’t see what we have. That doesn’t mean we don’t have those things. Those things remain right there in front of us. All we need is to light a candle or ignite some hope and we can see that what we thought was lost was merely hidden.
- The most painful moments in life expand us. And when the pain leaves, space remains. Space we can fill with life itself.
- Remember that our perspective is our world. And our external circumstances dont need to change in order for our perspective to change.
- When things are taken from us, the stuff that remains has more value. It rises not only in visibility but also intensity. What we lose in breadth, we gain in depth.
- We escape a maze by trying new routes. We don’t feel like we have failed when we hit a dead end. In fact, we appreciate the new knowledge. Every dead end helps us escape the maze. To know which path to take, it helps to take a few wrong ones.
- Check your emotional armour is actually protecting you, not so heavy you can’t move.
- Continually looking for the meaning of life is like looking for the meaning of toast. Sometimes it’s better to just eat the toast.
- The more we value things outside of our control, the less control we have.
I will end with a quote from Charles Dickens : Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken but – I hope – into a better shape.
4 thoughts on “Comfort Quotes for any situation”