What is Cica, exactly?
Cica, also known as Centella Asiatica, or Tiger Grass to some, is known for its soothing & healing properties. Whenever you see the word “Cica” on your skincare, you’ll know this product is meant to heal, soothe skin’s irritation, calms down inflammation & repair compromised skin barrier. Cica/Centella Asiatica is also recommended by many for sensitive, rosacea skin however bear in mind everyone’s skin is different, so don’t jump into buzzwords. Get trial samples & patch tests before committing to a full-size product.
There are hundreds of cica skincare options out in the market but today, let us compare VT Cosmetic Cica Cream and Dr. Jart Cicapair Cream. Containing the well-loved Centella Asiatica ingredient, both of these share 10 similar ingredients & claims to deliver similar results, which it to calm skin’s inflammation, repair skin barrier, rich with skin healing properties & anti-bacterial properties.
These two were kindly gifted by Stylekorean in exchange for my reviews & #whosthebestcica comparison, so let’s dive in, shall we? 🙂
For context, my skin type is oily (sometimes dehydrated) & I stay in a hot & humid country. I do not have much redness on the skin, only at the sides of my nose. Cheeks are the most sensitive part of my face with occasional itchiness.
Here are my verdicts after testing out these two side by side on my skin for a week, followed by one in the morning & one in the evening & an infographic of their key difference in their ingredients list:
- VT Cosmetics Cica Cream
- Skin looked more dewy as compared to Dr. Jart
- Sits on the skin for a little while, slower absorption
- Left my skin feeling hydrated
- Minty scent is a tad bit too strong for my liking. Smelled like toothpaste, almost.
- Helps in calming down the itchiness on my cheeks
- Skin turns oilier faster throughout the day
- Prefer using this at night as I like fast-absorbing skincare in the morning
- Dr. Jart Cicapair Cream
- Gives a nice matte finishing once its fully absorbed into the skin
- Absorbs quite fast into the skin
- Also leaves my skin feeling hydrated, but in a different way as compared to VT’s
- Subtle lavender scent
- Also helps in calming down occasional itchiness on the cheeks
- Skin doesn’t turn oily as fast compared to VT’s side
- Prefer using this in the morning as it absorbs faster & the matte smooth finishing works better in controlling my sebum production throughout the day
- Both did not clog pores nor break me out
- Works well in calming down itchiness on cheeks & redness around the sides of my nose
- Though they are quite similar, I personally thinks both works well depending on your skin type & whether you experience dry, cold or humid weather. Weather plays quite an important role in choosing your skincare, in my opinion.
TLDR; here’s my comparison chart
Honestly, I’d thought Dr. Jart would be better for dry skin whereas VT Cosmetics for oily skin but after religiously testing out these two, the result turns out to be quite the opposite. However, I’ve seen people saying the gel one was better for oily skin but somehow, it doesn’t provide the moisture my skin craves for as compared to Dr. Jart. The VT Cream hydrations lasts only for a lil while but Dr. Jart’s one locks in moisture well without suffocating my skin. YMMV (:
If I have to choose, my skin votes for…
The balmy texture was quite scary at first but the velvety, smooth, matte finish is LOVE. It locks down hydration well throughout the day without suffocating my oily skin.
You can get these two from Stylekorean’s official website
- Dr. Jart Cicapair Cream – Buy Here (currently ON SALE at $28/RM116)
- VT Cosmetics Cica Cream – Buy Here (currently ON SALE AT $20/RM83)
Disclaimer – these are affiliate links in collaboration with Stylekorean. I earn a small commission from your purchase when you click through this link. Do support me if you’d like & I truly appreciate every little support given to me!
Thank you for reading this far. If you have any questions, leave your comments down below or chat with me on my Instagram!
Love it? Pin it!